What a pleasant thought that when we come to die the people will show us respect, that they will gather around our bier and religiously lay our remains away in the earth for the angels to watch over till the morning of the resurrection. Perhaps a tear will be dropped on our coffin or our grave, and appreciative words not entirely around the bier of the dead would encircle the home of the living?
Said Sir John Herschel, “I could see Sirius announcing himself,” as he swept the heavens with his telescope, in search of Sirius, “till the great star rushed in and filled the whole field of vision with a sea of light.” The time came for Whitefield to die. The man had been immortal till his work was done. His path had been bright, and it grew brighter to the end, like that of the just.
- Selected Sermons of George Whitefield (searchandtrace.wordpress.com)
- George Whitefield Quote – That God And Man Might Be Happy Together Again! (haroldcameron.wordpress.com)
- The Archaeology of Repentance (john925.wordpress.com)
- George Whitefield: The Care Of The Soul (samuelatgilgal.wordpress.com)
- Do You Really Have Christ In Your Heart? (samuelatgilgal.wordpress.com)
Let us recognize the fact, however, that while there is a lawful and profitable use of it, money cannot satisfy a man’s soul. It cannot pay our fare across the Jordan of death. It cannot unlock the gate of heaven. Salvation by Christ is the only salvation. Treasures in heaven are the only incorruptible treasures. However fine your apparel, the winds of death will flutter it like rages. A homespun and threadbare coat has sometimes been the shadow of coming robes made white by the blood of the Lamb. Oh, my dear hearers, what-ever you lose, though your house go, though all your earthly possessions go–may God Almighty, through the blood of the ever-lasting covenant, save all your souls! “What is a man profited if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?” Talmage.
- Make Heaven More Full, Hell More Empty (jcrylequotes.com)
- Knowing therefore the terror of the Lord, we persuade men (servehiminthewaiting.wordpress.com)
- Lesson 5 of the Salvation Series – Heaven’s Rehabilitation Program (sdayouthkorea.org)
- Can We Stop the Sin Cycle? (helpmeunderstandall.wordpress.com)
- A Fresh Start (greatvictories.wordpress.com)
- Treasure in Heaven (prayforgujarat.wordpress.com)
- Revelation 12:10-12 (rheumadroid.wordpress.com)
- No Holy Spirit = No Christ = No Heaven (jcrylequotes.com)
I think if you would look through your Bible carefully, you will find that ten different times He appeared to his disciples, not in the spirit, but in the body, in person. I want to get this thing established in all our minds, that Christ has come out of the grave personally, that His body has gone back to heaven. The same body they crucified, the same body they laid in Joseph’s sepulchre has come out of the jaws of death and out of the sepulchre; and he has passed through the heavens and gone back on high. We are told He had an interview with Peter, who is alluded to as Simon and as Cephas. We can imagine what took place at that interview, and that Peter’s old difficulty was settled. Peter denied Hm, but at that interview Christ forgave him. What a Sabbath it must have been for Peter! What a blessed day for that poor backslider! And if there is some backslider here to-day, who will have an interview with the Son of God, he will forgive you this Easter morning, and blot out all your wanderings and all your sins, if you will come back; and it will be a joyful day for you. by D. L. Moody
- Aquinas’ Five Reasons Christ Rose from the Dead (thesacredpage.com)
- He Is Not Here…He Is Risen! (setwatchman.com)
- Our Guest Writer Shares a Remarkable Look at the Resurrection of the Lord Jesus Christ…. (verticalviewer.wordpress.com)
- The Central Theme of the Gospel Is and Has Always Been “The Resurrection of Jesus Christ” (verticalviewer.wordpress.com)
- The Ever Living One (wolewumi.wordpress.com)
- Resurrected! (prayforgujarat.wordpress.com)
- His Resurrection Destiny – Daily Devotion By Oswald Chambers (gospelbondservant.com)
- The Resurrection of Christ: Four Flawed Theories and the Glorious Truth (insightscoop.typepad.com)
When I was a boy, I thought of heaven as a great, shining city, with vast walls and domes and spires, and with nobody in it except white-robed angels, who were strangers to me. By and by my little brother died; and I thought of a great city with walls and domes and spires, and a flock of cold, unknown angels, and one little fellow that I was acquainted with. He was the only one I knew at that time. Then another brother died; and there were two that I knew. Then my acquaintances began to die; and the flock continually grew. But it was not till I had sent one of my little children to his Heavenly Parent–God–that I began to think I had got a little in myself. A second went, a third went; a fourth went; and by that time I had so many acquaintances in heaven, that I did not see any more walls and domes and spires. I began to think of the residents of the celestial city. And now there have so many of my acquaintances gone there, that it sometimes seems to me that I know more in heaven than I do on earth. –by Moody.
What we need is to banish all haze from our conceptions of the reality of that state, so that we can think of it heartily and talk about it to each other with clear eye and open brow, as we would talk of some great university or gorgeous landscape of a foreign land. Thus only can we have any comfort when our dearest are transferred hence. What is so inspiring, what aspect of our humanity is so lofty and divine, as when a Christian mother, one the hallowed clay of a little one, can say with assured faith: “This was only the earthly image of an innocence, a wonder, and a love that have been withdrawn into the deeps of eternal life, into that world of truth and essences and peace that is near me in my prayers. Its dawning faculties, which I loved so to watch and guide, are more precious to God than to me, and he has lifted them to a state of being where a purer light and more delightful splendors than the earthly sun sheds or shines upon, surround its unfettered spirit. It is mine still through my faith in God , and my assurance of the supremacy of the spirit over the clay.” That is the way to think of the future world, -not in weak fancy, but in a conviction that our powers of thought, feeling, and worship are our real substance here. -Thomas Starr King.
- setting the body in order for its intercessory purposes (briancoatney.com)
- Believing Jesus Is Seeing! (corbenstreet.wordpress.com)
- God’s plan to make us dead to sin (briancoatney.com)
- He Lives! And We Will Live Again Too – Pain Free (chronicillnesspaindevotionals.wordpress.com)
- Brokenness and Hope! (doublelattebooks.wordpress.com)
- The Raising of Lazarus (frted.wordpress.com)
- Evidence for the Resurrection of Jesus Christ (disclose.tv)
- Haiku Prompt: Unfettered at Last (lenleatherwood.wordpress.com)
by Rev. W. R. Williams, D. D.
There is proclaimed one mightier than death or hell. He is the Prince of Life and Lord of Glory. He, in bringing rescue tasted of death, yea not only met the common lot, but bore on himself the common and concentrated guilt of our race. Doing this he tore the sting from death and to them that believe. He is become the author of life, everlasting life.
To them that recieve Christ, the war though fierce has lost its main terror and is stripped of its perils, mortality loses its ghastliness and puts on hopefulness and promise. The grave is like the wet, cold March day, behind whose gloom lie the treasures of bursting spring and the glories of refulgent summer. The light afflictions are but for a moment. Death to the saint changes many of its offices. If pain walks at his side, He is also the queller of strife and the calmer of care. No more throbs or sighs, but rest. He is in one sense the Destroyer, but in another the Restorer. He brings back, through Christ’s victorious grave, the lost innocence and peace of Eden. He divides the nearest ties, but also re-unites to those who sleep in Jesus. He is the curse of the law, but through the blessed one, who magnified and satisfied the law, he becomes to the believer in Jesus, the end of sin, the gate of Paradise, and the recompense of a new, a better and an unending life.
- Good Friday: April 6 (prayerscapes.wordpress.com)
- EXTRA! EXTRA! The Tomb Was Empty. Does Jesus Lives? (footsoldiers4christ.wordpress.com)
- The Lamb that was Slain (lionessblog.com)
- The Lamb that was Slain (intostillness.wordpress.com)
- Good Friday – Nissan 14 (cozyblanketsnowflakerepetitioncompulsion.wordpress.com)
- Good Friday: An Agonizing Death (atruediscipleofchrist.wordpress.com)
- Akathist Hymn to the Passion of Christ… (thehandmaid.wordpress.com)
- We have much reason to thank the Lord (estherscott1257.wordpress.com)
- The Resurrection and the Life (captivatedbychrist.org)
- “Death, thou shalt die” (thechristianpundit.org)